Skip to content

Apply for an F-1 Student Visa

Your F-1 student visa will be one of a few documents you will need to carry with you when you enter the United States. Please review the following steps below for how to apply for your F-1 student visa. 
In order to apply for an F-1 student visa, you must receive your Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status Form I-20 from the Office of International Programs here at UWA. 

Upon the creation of your Form I-20, you will have a SEVIS record created for you. That SEVIS record will contain your information and have a SEVIS ID Number assigned to it. You will need to reference that SEVIS ID Number as part of your F-1 student visa application. Your SEVIS ID Number is unique to you; and can be found at the top of your Form I-20 beginning with the letter 'N'.

You will often hear and read the term SEVP or SEVIS. The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is a program within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that manages the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is the internet-based system that maintains records of foreign students and exchange visitors before and during their stays in the United States.
You must pay a SEVIS I-901 Fee and fill out other visa applications forms prior to your visa interview. Please visit the SEVIS I-901 Fee processing website for complete information about paying your SEVIS I-901 Fee. Please make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

For more information about the SEVIS I-901 Fee, you may also visit the Study in the States website for students.
Please note: This step DOES NOT apply to Canadian Citizens

Please refer to the U.S. Non-Immigrant Visa website to complete the online Non-Immigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160). There is a fee associated with your visa; please see the listing for visa services fees here

For further information about the Form DS-160, as well the visa application process, please visit the following resources below:
   - How to complete your Form DS-160 video 
   - Video made by the US Embassy in London that shows the steps in a typical visit to a U.S. Consulate or Embassy when applying
     for a visa.

It is best practice to ensure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the end of your study in the United States and that your name is spelled correctly and appears the same on all documents.

For your visa interview, please make sure to have your UWA Form I-20 and your SEVIS I-901 Fee Receipt in hand. During the interview, be prepared to answer questions regarding ties to your home country, your English language skills, your academic background, the program in the United States to which you have been admitted, and proof of your financial ability.

Schedule your visa interview following the instructions on the website of your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. It is best to confirm with that U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will be attending your interview if you have all the required documentation for the interview.

Once you have completed your interview, and your visa has been issued, please see the following resource for how to interpret your visa stamp.